Friday, November 25, 2016

Where to Go From Here: Reflection on EDU 6134 Professional Issues in Education

New teachers: Keep a sense of humor at all times. 
Program standard 8.2 aims to prepare new teachers so they "exemplify an understanding of professional responsibilities and policies" as they grow and develop in their field. Aspiring educators come from a wide variety of backgrounds, from young people who have wanted to teach since childhood to working adults who pursue a career change after years in another field. They do share common ground in one primary area, however: facing the steep learning curve of actually teaching for the very first time, and learning how to act professional as they face these challenges. 

I find myself in the second camp, career-changers, and as I reflect on the professional issues presented in our course, I appreciate the information provided regarding appropriate behavior, abuse prevention, the value of parent partnerships, and the important (albeit illusive) task of teacher collaboration, among other topics. But most of all, I continue to think about the common struggles new teachers face, wondering which areas will feel most difficult for me when I begin next fall, and how I might seek solutions so I don’t burn out too quickly. 

Dan Brown says, "Part of persevering in this profession involves carrying a high threshold for bureaucratic blunders, miscarriages of justice, untimely copy machine malfunctions, misguided policies, betrayals of trust, and other epic travesties—as well as one’s own mistakes" (2012, p. 27). I loved this wisdom when I read it two months ago, and it continues to be my favorite treasure from this quarter. Adjusting our expectations and the image we have of ourselves (bleeding-heart superheroes) makes space for the realities of teaching: We will have some hard days. We will have some terrible days. This is not the end of the world, this needn’t take us by surprise, and this doesn’t mean our students cannot learn from us.

What separates a flailing new teacher from a professional is the understanding that our teaching will not be perfect no matter how hard we work. By soulfully expecting perfection, new teachers are inevitably crushed by the weight of dismissive parents, unhelpful colleagues, and disinterested students. The opportunity lies in applying the tools gained in a course such as this one: Find a better way to communicate with difficult parents (Is a language barrier making emails less effective, perhaps?). Reach out to the colleagues who can be supportive (and avoid the negative naysayers). Maintain healthy boundaries with students. Seek the advice of a teaching coach to make boring curriculum come to life for kids, and keep trying when the disillusionment hits hard come Christmas break (Moir, 2011).

Although I have not yet faced the first-year teacher blues, I am trying to translate some of the pressure I feel as a parent of two children (one preschooler, one newborn), with a spouse also in graduate school, living in a foreign country, into coping strategies that will be useful when I finally start to teach. I am seeking support from current teachers by asking questions about early learning and the importance of play. I have sought training on phonological awareness and grapho-motor development so as to build partnerships with teachers in the community ahead of time. I'm trying to peel back the cultural onion of families in Hong Kong through play ground chats, so I can relate to parents in my future school better. 

I am also working hard to laugh about the things that simply do not go perfectly—letting go of the ideal of homemade baby food may be perfect preparation for disappointing bulletin boards. I know the season of my imperfect but best-I-can studenthood will ultimately benefit my future kindergarten students. They will see a human being who works hard to maintain professional standards as an educator, imparting a love of reading, writing, and all kinds of learning, calling any perfectly trimmed bulletin boards icing on the cake.

References

Brown, D. (2012). Now that I know. Educational Leadership, May 2012, 24-48.
Moir, E. (2011). Phases of first year teaching. Retrieved     from: file:///Users/holizhar/Downloads/Moir%202011.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment